Today AT&T unveiled its new eco-rating system, which will appear on AT&T-branded device packaging later this year, and will offer a simple way customers can see the environmental impact of mobile handsets before they buy them. The system will:
- Introduce an easy-to-understand process that rates the device’s impact on the environment.
- Cover attributes such as: environmentally preferable materials, energy efficiency, responsible end-of-life treatment, and environmentally-responsible manufacturing.
- Educate customers about the complex issues in simplified labels and terms.
- Encourage meaningful design change from manufacturers and the industry.
- Evolve as technological innovations, industry norms and sustainability needs change.
This new approach results from their work with BSR, a global business network and consultancy focused on sustainability.