A lot of folks find it easy being green and sustainable in their everyday lives but when they are entertaining or having a party, it’s harder to keep it both green and easy.
Emily Doubilet, founder and CEO of sustyparty saw an opportunity in just this. sustyparty enables people to embrace sustainability in all aspects of entertaining. They merge eco-social ethics with entertaining and provide products for sustainable event planning.
Emily tells Ecopreneurist her story!
What motivated you to start this business?
I noticed all the waste that was generated, especially with plastic cups, at events like concerts and parties and even at sustainability-themed conferences! I wanted to encourage people to have fun and keep enjoying the amazing social connections that parties and events encourage, while also serving the environment beneficially.
What have you learned about this business?
It is surprising that still so many people are learning about biodegradable and compostable tableware. For some people, it’s only a small thing to do (since they only use non-disposables anyway, which we applaud!) but for others, they never even considered that an alternative to the plastic cup is already out there. So it’s fun to still see people’s reactions when they learn about biodegradable tableware bio-plastic. There is an alternative to plastic!
The biggest challenge is to incorporate a true sustainability ethic and mission into everything we do. We still have the profit-related struggles that any small business has. But we don’t want to compromise our values and mission of doing something good for the Earth!
Where do you see the business headed, future plans?
We are expanding the quality and sustainability of all our products – from a larger selection to improving the way they are produced and finding the most innovative, environmentally beneficial party products and materials.
sustyparty offers some awesome products that are cheaper than ones available at Whole Foods (they even have a special line of products for Halloween)! But that is only the first step to a sustainable party. The company believes it’s important for manufacturers and retailers to claim responsibility for their products. So they created an After Party Take Back Program. Their After Party Composting section offers ways customers can drop off used wares for commercial composting in NY City.
If that is all not enough good news, the awesome folks at sustyparty are sponsoring a Halloween Giveaway on Ecopreneurist!
This natural, eco-friendly, non-toxic EDIBLE face paint is made in the USA and is VEGAN, contains no wheat, sugar or preservatives. Just organic fruit and vegetable powders, rice cereal and rice flour!
The face paint kit comes in 4 colors: * Purple/Blue made with REAL blueberries * Red/Pink made with REAL beets * Yellow made with REAL pumpkin, and * Green made with REAL spinach!
This can be yours through this giveaway!
How to Enter:
It’s easy as face-painting! You can get one entry for each of the following, so you can get multiple names in the hat!
- “Like” Ecopreneurist on Facebook.
- Follow Ecopreneurist on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway with the mention @ecopreneurist in your tweet!
- Subscribe to our e-mail updates, through the box on the right sidebar on our homepage.
- “Like” sustyparty’s facebook page and leave a note on their wall saying Ecopreneurist sent you.
- Follow sustyparty on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway with the mention @sustyparty in your tweet!
- Tell us you did the above through comments on this post. Use one comment for each of the above actions you completed.
- Giveaway is open to everyone. You can enter through the comments on the post. Your e-mail address will NOT be shared with anyone.
- You must be over 18 years old who lives within the U.S.
- Giveaway will end at 11:59 PM EST on Monday, October 17, 2011.
- One winner will be chosen at random, generated by a random.org, and will be announced on Tuesday, October 18, 2011.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the giveaway.
- You must respond within three days of being contacted as “the winner” to be eligible.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can enter. Each comment is one entry.
- SRP is $28.99
- Disclosure: I was not given any free products or any monetary reward for the post. The prize will be shipped to the winner of the giveaway directly from sustyparty.